Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nobody said it was easy.

Last week just completely went to shit.  And why?  Because I let it.  I have lots and lots of excuses, but there's only one real reason: lack of self control.

Of course, the consequence to my bad behavior was looking down at the scale this morning and seeing that I gained back the 2 lbs. that I lost.

The good thing is, I am starting to realize what my biggest mistakes in regards to healthier eating are.  First of all, I am trying to force myself into eating things I don't like.  Obviously, I need to try new things, add more variety to my diet, and try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible.  But how is gagging on green beans going to keep me motivated?  I need to still enjoy what I eat.  So, I've got to get creative.  I need to come up with healthier, smaller portioned versions of foods that I love.  I've got to research and try lots of new recipes so I don't get bored.

I've also got to start eating breakfast every morning.  I don't like eating when I first wake up, and then I forget about it or just don't have time for it before I go to class or to work.  I need to at least be eating a cup of yogurt and a banana.  Otherwise, by the time lunch comes around I am lightheaded and ravenous and I just want to pig out.

It might not seem like it, but I really do want to this.  But it is hard, and I am really busy, and it is a lot easier to eat crap.

Friday we have plans to go out to lunch with one of Thomas' friends, so that will be my "off" or "cheat" day, but after that I am going to try to be good until 10/16 - which is our two year wedding anniversary!  I want to feel good about myself going in to that weekend, like I've earned the right to relax and celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we all have those days/weeks/months. :)

    Anyway, if you're trying to add in veggies and you aren't a veggie lover... try the veggies in the frozen foods section. I think it's Green Giant that makes some really good broccoli in cheese sauce (they also have like, cauliflower in cheese sauce, etc) that will help you get your veggies in but also adds some flavor to spice it up! :)

    Something that really helps me is cutting out snack/junk/carby foods. Like crackers, 100 calorie packs, etc. I find that when I put those into myself, I actually have a lot more cravings! If I focus on more wholesome foods (even if it's full-fat cheese, meat, etc) that I actually crave food in general a lot less. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I just keep telling myself, "No, you have to eat that plain... if you add to it you are being bad!" But then if I just don't eat it all, how am I making any progress? That makes perfect sense. Less processed foods are more filling. To me, a banana is more filling than a bowl of cereal or a handful of chips. It's just learning to do everything in moderation, and in reasonable portions. If it becomes about deprivation I'll never stick to it. And why should I? Eating should ALWAYS be enjoyable! That's my philosophy, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I agree. I thoroughly enjoy eating. Anything and everything. ;)

    ReplyDelete